Episode 6 of the podcast features our first returning guest, Colin McPhillips. After Colin’s first episode aired I received a number of emails asking for Colin to come back on and go deeper into technical aspects of paddle enhanced surfing. I asked, he agreed, and Episode 6 is now live…
On the show Colin and I discuss our favorite SUP surfing videos (most linked to in the show notes below), how to get out at beach breaks on bigger days and our vocabulary/terminology…. Do we need our own vernacular?
The third point is something I want folks to start thinking about… We have a sport that is 80% similar to surfing, but because we use a paddle the maneuvers do not correlate 100%. Currently, we are trying to fit surfing terminology on top of paddle enhanced surfing, and it doesn’t fit. Moving forward, how should we define our sport? Without defined maneuvers it is hard to have technical discussions about progression. Just a thought.
Of note from the episode is the announcement of PaddleWoo’s Pro-Am Video Contest, with Media Partner Standup Journal! PaddleWoo is hosting a Video Contest with a Guaranteed $3,000 cash purse and the top Amateur spot wins a free week here in Costa Rica, daily pro video sessions and local knowledge… everything except airfare. (full details on the contest will be available very soon)
Listen and Enjoy!
CLICK TO LISTEN ON ITUNES
CLICK TO LISTEN ON STITCHER
- 0:45 – Welcome to the show! Colin McPhillips is here to discuss technical ways to get out in bigger surf.
- 1:30 – Big Announcement Teaser!
- 1:50 – Inclusion of Mo Freitas (possible future guest???)
- 2:30 – Erik and Colin Talk Videos, what videos pop out?
- 3:05 – Stand Up Paddle Move (Laird, Kalama, McPhillips) – http://www.standuppaddlemovie.com/Stand_Up_Paddle_Movie/A_Stand_Up_Paddle_Movie_Home_949-493-6155.html
- 4:30 – Kai Lenny’s SUP Movie – http://www.poorboyzstore.com/dvd/sup-movie-dvd-blu-ray-combo
- 5:20 – Power rail surfing vs. flicky turns (do boards define how you surf?) – are we limited by design?
- 6:30 – Keahi de Aboitiz – 7.4 JP, small beach break – https://youtu.be/EO-It3MNO1g
- 7:40 – Keahi in Indo Part 1 – https://youtu.be/v5GzZ12IvcI
- 8:10 – Is Keahi riding the production 7.4 in those videos? Erik bets no, looks thinner with less rocker
- 8:50 – How does he get those barrels without slipping in the barrel? What fins? (gotta get Keahi on the show!)
- 9:30 – Colin educates us on side slipping in barrels on bigger boards.
- 10:10 – Erik talks setting up barrels and waves way ahead of time on a SUP
- 11:00 – If you’re not putting yourself in the right place before you take off on the wave, you’re already behind the 8 Ball
- 13:20 – Kai Lenny Air Reverse Video – https://youtu.be/14KicUHmscs
- 14:00 – Caio Vaz’s huge air in the wave pool
- 14:30 – Caio and Ian Vaz Nias – https://youtu.be/YlwgocTtd4g, VazBrothers Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TheVazBrothersTV
- 17:30 – Are there surfing riding very low volume ratios who are tall? Sean and Mo are both about 5.10. – Colin says Mo’s skills are unreal for paddling
- 19:00 – PaddleWoo’s BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!!!! The PaddleWoo Video Contest. Prizes for both Pro and Amateurs. $3,000 Cash Prize overall, and Top Amateur Prize is a free week in Costa Rica (excluding airfare)
- 21:00 – Colin calls out Fisher and Kieren Grant, wants to see their videos
- 21:40 – Little McPhillips entry??? Will they make Colin film?
- 22:15 – Colin says the week in CR is worth more than the top cash prize.
- 23:00 – Videos have to be original and fresh. You need to have music rights.
- 24:20 – Surfing caliber is more important than production value
- 25:00 – Colin McPhillips agrees to be a judge live on the show
- 26:00 – Colin calls out Poenaiki Raioha
- 27:15 – Conversation gets technical on getting out in big surf at a beach break
- 28:00 – Colin’s favorite move is to shoot the board over the whitewater, it doesn’t work for Erik. Colin explains why… mostly timing
- 30:30 – When you let your board just go you run the risk of breaking boards
- 31:00 – Colin and Erik both use 6 foot leashes. Colin uses On a Mission 6ft. comp leashes. Erik swears by Ocean and Earth Premium 6ft.
- 33:00 – In Cali, at home, Colin doesn’t wear a leash too much
- 33:30 – Colin explains that it makes him a better surfer to surf without a leash, the challenge sharpens the skills
- 34:40 – Tactic – longboard move of sitting down with the nose up and letting the foam hit the board and pop over. Only works on bigger boards
- 35:30 – If you do get caught right by the lip, just try to get your board out of the impact area.
- 36:40 – Get your board parallel to the lip so if it does get hit by the lip it is on a stronger axis
- 37:20 – Standing duck dives… more of a novelty, they get you super worked if done wrong
- 39:00 – Tactics for swimming with your paddle
- 40:00 – Where do you hold your paddle when paddling prone
- 42:40 – Do you use your paddle when your underwater getting destroyed? Can it be helpful?
- 44:00 – Erik tells a story about almost knocking his head off
- 44:30 – It’s surprising how easy it is to hold a paddle underwater in turbulence
- 45:00 – Pushing off the bottom with your paddle when you’re getting held down
- 46:00 – Last topic of the episode – Vocabulary/Terminology for Paddle Enhanced Surfing
- 49:40 – Backside vs. Frontside, Colin calls out Giorgio Gomez for the video contest, says he has incredible backside game
- 51:15 – Starboard’s better backside??? Because of weight?
- 51:40 – Colin really likes light boards.
- 52:40 – Erik says he’s confused about what board to ride next weekend in the contest here, Colin says bring 3 and pick one and go with it…
- 54:00 – Colin love Boca Barranca, Fiesta Hotel
- 56:00 – Colin bought a jet ski back in the day just for point breaks, Erik’s wife is against Erik getting one
- 57:40 – Colin gets so stoked talking about surfing that he has to go out there and surf… Last thoughts from Colin are go get some incredible footage for the contest!