Kieran Grant is a powerhouse of a surfer. He spent the last week doing huge hacks on beach and reef breaks with a nice SW swell in the water. He rides for East Coast Paddle for SUP surf boards, and Hovie for race boards, 27 North Paddles, Clever Surfboards, Paddleboard House, Sun Bum sunscreen, Maui Jim sunglasses and FloMotion.
Having just spent a week with Kieran, let me try to explain what type of guy he is… Kieran always has a smile on his face. He is the first guy out of the car pulling boards off the top of the roof. Last night at dinner we were crushing all the fish and he made sure to save some for my wife and daughter. He can surf for 3 hours, spearfish for 3 hours then clean all the fish when everyone else can’t move.
Now let’s talk about what kind of a surfer he is… He is riding a 7.4 x 24 that can’t be more than 73 liters (he weighs 170lbs) and can paddle it no problem. He sinks it to his thigh. I would compare his frontside hacks to Sunny Garcia or Pancho Sullivan. He’ll chuck it vertical in any backside section and throw airs over reef…
Listen to Kieran talk paddle enhanced surfing from the paddlewoo headquarters in Costa Rica!
- 1:15 – Follow Paddlewoo on Social Networks at www.instagram.com/paddlewoo www.facebook.com/paddlewoo and www.twitter.com/paddlewoo
- Subscribe to the newsletter at www.Paddlewoo.com
- 2:20 – Introduction to Kieran Grant, Ranked 1st on the WPA Race Circuit – https://paddleguru.com/wparankings?region=14&type=overall
- 3:00 Kieran Grant is Deaf which makes it pretty incredible that he is doing a podcast!!!! He is an inspiration.
- 4:00 – Kieran talks about how he got into SUP surfing, he wanted to beat his brother Fisher Grant
- 4:35 – Erik talks differences in how Fisher and Kieran surf
- 4:50 – Kieran’s favorite maneover is frontside power cutback
- 5:25 – Kieran’s boards are 7.4 x 24 and 7.5 x 24.5, he weighs 170 pounds
- 5:50 – Kieran surfs for East Coast Paddle and 27 North Paddles, his 85 sq. inch paddle is awesome
- 7:00 – Kieran talks his race results, St. Criox, he won it
- 7:50 – Kieran sinks his surf SUP to his knees (legitimately, I watch it all week)
- 8:15 – Erik talks about the current level of SUP surfing that folks don’t even know about, me included
- 8:55 – Erik mentions how strong Kieran is for the 10th time… this is getting man-crushy
- 9:30 – What does Kieran love about SUP surfing
- 10:10 – How hard is it to race 7 miles? Diet, water, train
- 11:00 – Kieran hopes to do the Standup World Tour and Standup World Series (SUP Surf and Race) next year
- 11:50 – Erik talks about the incredible brother/friend dynamic that Kieran and Fisher have… Erik Invites Kieran to come down to Costa Rica to teach at Blue Zone!!!