A huge congrats to Mo Freitas who won the PaddleWoo video contest. Mo won the voting, with both Colin McPhillips and Adam Champagne, from Standup Journal, having Mo in the top spot. He also had the most view on his video and most votes. Mo takes home $2,000 for the top spot. (more…)
Justin Holland’s entry into the first PaddleWoo Video Contest, 2015. Justin rips apart a beach break on his StarBoard, huge hacks and cutbacks…
Vote for Justin by sharing this page on your Facebook page, by liking the video and voting at PaddleWoo.com and StandupJournal.com.
WOW! Last night I listened to Justin Holland recount his terrifying experience at Cow Bombie, riding what some are calling the biggest wave in Australia’s history. It didn’t end well for him. He recounted the whole tale exclusively for the PaddleWoo podcast, and after hearing it, I had a nightmare last night… no joke.
No show notes with this episode… Just give it a full listen and let us know what you think in the comments below or on our Facebook.com/paddlewoo page or Instagram.com/paddlewoo…
Sign up for the newsletter to be the first to know when new episodes are released!
- 1:00 – email Erik at firstname.lastname@example.org with feedback and suggestions for the show
- 2:01 – Justin talks shortboarding jr. ranks in Australia w/ Taj, Parko, Mick
- 3:30 – Justin now SUPs 80%, shortboards 20%
- 4:45 – First SUP surf in Australia, Jamie Mitchell endorsed SUP
- 5:30 – Justin’s progression of boards from huge NSP to 7.4 Starboards
- 6:40 – Stiff shaft paddles
- 7:00 – Justin weighs in at 150lbs, 55kgs, doesn’t watch his weight
- 7:45 – Weight is your friend in bigger surf, talks big Sunset at the first event of the year
- 9:30 – How long has Justin been on the tour?
- 10:00 – Tour improvements, webcasting difficulties in France
- 12:00 – Justin is frothing checking the surf at Tahiti
- 13:05 – Justin talks his first event on the world tour, surfed through trials to make main event
- 14:50 – Backside barrel techniques on SUPs, Erik admits he is terrible at it
- 15:30 – Quiksilver floatation in heavy waves, pig-dog style
- 17:30 – Naked feeling when you hold the paddle in one hand
- 19:00 – Clear vs. dirty water for fear factor
- 19:30 – What boards Justin is bringing to Tahiti, 7.4 Starboard is the go-to board in most conditions
- 21:50 – Fin setups, Justin is a thruster guy, rides for FCS, which fins he’s riding
- 23:30 – Frontside vs. backside surfing on Quads
- 24:10 – Starboard design process, Sean Poynter, Connor Baxter, Izzy Gomez…
- 26:10 – Longboard finbox that Starboards come with
- 28:40 – FCS news, click in back fin for longboard finbox
- 30:20 – Tough to find Starboards in the states
- 30:50 – Justin talks his first ride on a Starboard and crashing it on a reef without much damage
- 33:10 – Justin talks who inspires him on the SUP tour, style and why (Kai Lenny, Caio Vaz, Mo Freitas, Sean Poynter, Zane, Kai Bates, Giorgio Gomez)
- 36:40 – Kids in Australia into SUP?
- 38:50 – Justin surfs Snapper on his SUP w/ Tom Carroll, tactics in busy lineup
- 41:30 – Squat position, the “tear your crotch to pieces” tactic
- 42:40 – Erik talks his 2 to 1 strategy for surfing busy lineups
- 43:08 – Power surfing on SUPs, Paddle leverage, turn harder on SUP
- 44:30 – Justin emulates Tom Carroll, Tom Curren, Taylor Knox on his SUP
- 45:20 – Where does Justin cut his paddles, 1 inch taller than himself
- 47:00 – Justin is the paddle destroyer
- 48:50 – Hurley High Performance Center, Justin is the strongest pound-for-pound athlete in there
- 51:45 – To train for Tahiti, Justin did 5 back-to-back heats
- 53:00 – The board room at the Hurley HPC is EPIC
- 53:50 – Bede made the final in Brazil on WSL, trains at HPC, it is paying off
- 54:40 – Time shortboard vs. SUP, big waves on shortboards.
- 56:15 – Are shortboarding and SUP surfing complementary?
- 59:25 – Justin’s best SUP session, great story of Sunset, Jaws, Kai Lenny, Jamie Mitchell
- 64:00 – The wrap-up – Justin was an epic guest, hope you enjoyed it!