Fins, The Guide – Video Podcast with Tyler Callaway of FCS
Tyler Callaway dropped some knowledge about fins on Episode 34 of the Podcast. Tyler is a return guest, so if you’d like to, know his story, listen to this.
This is a video episode, and should be watched as a video, especially the first 20 minutes when Tyler is using fins to explain different principles. I’ve also produced an audio show, but you’ll miss a bit.
Enjoy this technical discussion of fins in SUP paddle boards. Some key points from the show –
- Wider tails generally work better as quads
- Quads are faster, but they draw wider lines
- Thrusters excel in turns past 90 degrees, surf better vertically, but take more to get going
- If you want to turn harder go bigger front fins and smaller back fin/s
- More rake will draw out turn, less rake will feel faster and turn harder, but slide out first
- Tyler advocates trying different sets of fins in your board before settling, you never know what set will flow with the board
- FCS2 center box fin is a game-changer, adjust placement during a surf