Episode 7 of the podcast features Fisher Grant. Fisher is an inspiration to me as a surfer, as he is arguably the most well rounded 18 year-old in our world. In the Surfing America’s Championships this month in California, Fisher placed 5th in shortboard (missing the final by less than a point), 2nd in longboard, and he won the SUP surfing event.
I wanted Fisher to come on the show as he is in a unique position to comment on where SUP surfing fits into surfing as a whole, what he loves about it, and how he feels surfing multiple disciplines helps each. He is candid and thoughtful with his responses and I hope I get the opportunity to surf and play some music with Fisher at some point in the future.
I feel that I can push a lot harder on a Standup than I can on a Shortboard. – Fisher Grant
CLICK TO LISTEN ON ITUNES
CLICK TO LISTEN ON STITCHER
Fisher’s Website – FisherGrant.com
Fisher and his brother Kieran’s Facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/followthegrantboys
Fisher’s Instagram – https://instagram.com/toestubber/
- 0:45 – Fisher Grant gives us some bio info, surf history though shortboard, longboard and SUP. Started contests at 10 years old.
- 1:30 – Travel history. Lots of California, Mexico, Nica, France and Morocco with Standup World Tour
- 2:50 – USA National Championships, Fisher won SUP, 2nd at Longboard and 5th in Shortboard.
- 3:30 – Fisher talks differences between Shortboard, Longboard, and SUP.
- 4:50 – Longboard is all about style, Shortboard fits into tight pockets.
- 5:50 – Erik explains when he fell in love with SUP surfing (perfect marriage between style, flow and power)
- 7:00 – Does SUP make Fisher a better shortboarder? Longboard?
- 7:44 – Is it an advantage to do all three sports? Fisher says definitely
- 8:30 – How does the paddle fit in? How do you think of it while surfing?
- 9:00 – What is Fisher’s take on “paddle tricks?”
- 10:10 – How does Fisher approach backside surfing on a standup?
- 11:30 – Fisher uses 27North paddles, cut about forehead high
- 12:48 – Fisher is 5’10” and 155lbs, riding 65-70L, he’s underwater when he’s waiting for waves
- 13:21 – Tail high technique, doing a duck-dive with your feet…
- 13:49 – Erik gets honest about why he’s doing the podcast
- 14:10 – Fisher loves futures fins, they’re more responsive. Futures you should sponsor Fisher Grant! He uses Futures Blacksticks
- 15:12 – Fisher is an artist, he explains his work. He is getting into playing guitar. His dad is his agent.
- 17:10 – Fisher’s plans for the future? Full time on Standup World Tour
- 18:40 – Payette River Games, why did the surfers have the advantage?
- 19:20 – What is the most difficult? Shortboard, Longboard, or SUP? He says SUP. Is it harder to catch waves on a SUP?
- 20:40 – Informational advantage on a SUP.
- 20:50 – Would it change shortboarder’s attitudes to know how hard it is to SUP?
- 22:00 – SUP Native vs. SUP Immigrant
- 24:00 – What does a Paddle Enhanced Video look like in 10 years? Where are boards?
- 25:00 – Fisher says not to rush into a very low liter board, you need to work down to it.
- 26:00 – Fisher surfed a normal longboard at the Carolina Cup contest? He got 2nd to Colin McPhillips in that event.
- 27:45 – Closing Thoughts – Just do what makes you have fun!