Kieran Grant’s entry into the first PaddleWoo Video Contest, 2015. Kieran showing off his smooth power in on a recent trip to Central America.
Vote for Kieran by sharing this page on your Facebook page, by liking the video and voting at PaddleWoo.com and StandupJournal.com.
In Episode 12 of the PaddleWoo podcast we have Mike McGann from 27 North Paddles. I met Mike through Fisher and Kieran Grant and had the opportunity to use the Kevlar surf paddle, one thing led to another and Mike agreed to come on the show and educate us on the process of developing and manufacturing a great surf paddle.
Of interest in the episode is Mike’s 3 tips about paddling to make you a better surfer (near the end of the episode). There are definitely some gems in this information rich hour, and I learned about blade size, dihedral, paddle constructions (including the new Inegra that I am testing now, Thanks Mike!!!)
Give it a listen. Feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. This is my hobby folks, but I take is seriously 🙂 Thanks for the support… Pura Vida.
Check out 27 north at http://www.27northusa.com
Kieran Grant is a powerhouse of a surfer. He spent the last week doing huge hacks on beach and reef breaks with a nice SW swell in the water. He rides for East Coast Paddle for SUP surf boards, and Hovie for race boards, 27 North Paddles, Clever Surfboards, Paddleboard House, Sun Bum sunscreen, Maui Jim sunglasses and FloMotion.
Having just spent a week with Kieran, let me try to explain what type of guy he is… Kieran always has a smile on his face. He is the first guy out of the car pulling boards off the top of the roof. Last night at dinner we were crushing all the fish and he made sure to save some for my wife and daughter. He can surf for 3 hours, spearfish for 3 hours then clean all the fish when everyone else can’t move.
Now let’s talk about what kind of a surfer he is… He is riding a 7.4 x 24 that can’t be more than 73 liters (he weighs 170lbs) and can paddle it no problem. He sinks it to his thigh. I would compare his frontside hacks to Sunny Garcia or Pancho Sullivan. He’ll chuck it vertical in any backside section and throw airs over reef…
Listen to Kieran talk paddle enhanced surfing from the paddlewoo headquarters in Costa Rica!
- 1:15 – Follow Paddlewoo on Social Networks at www.instagram.com/paddlewoo www.facebook.com/paddlewoo and www.twitter.com/paddlewoo
- Subscribe to the newsletter at www.Paddlewoo.com
- 2:20 – Introduction to Kieran Grant, Ranked 1st on the WPA Race Circuit – https://paddleguru.com/wparankings?region=14&type=overall
- 3:00 Kieran Grant is Deaf which makes it pretty incredible that he is doing a podcast!!!! He is an inspiration.
- 4:00 – Kieran talks about how he got into SUP surfing, he wanted to beat his brother Fisher Grant
- 4:35 – Erik talks differences in how Fisher and Kieran surf
- 4:50 – Kieran’s favorite maneover is frontside power cutback
- 5:25 – Kieran’s boards are 7.4 x 24 and 7.5 x 24.5, he weighs 170 pounds
- 5:50 – Kieran surfs for East Coast Paddle and 27 North Paddles, his 85 sq. inch paddle is awesome
- 7:00 – Kieran talks his race results, St. Criox, he won it
- 7:50 – Kieran sinks his surf SUP to his knees (legitimately, I watch it all week)
- 8:15 – Erik talks about the current level of SUP surfing that folks don’t even know about, me included
- 8:55 – Erik mentions how strong Kieran is for the 10th time… this is getting man-crushy
- 9:30 – What does Kieran love about SUP surfing
- 10:10 – How hard is it to race 7 miles? Diet, water, train
- 11:00 – Kieran hopes to do the Standup World Tour and Standup World Series (SUP Surf and Race) next year
- 11:50 – Erik talks about the incredible brother/friend dynamic that Kieran and Fisher have… Erik Invites Kieran to come down to Costa Rica to teach at Blue Zone!!!